20 VC 008: Startup 101 with Mark Peter Davis
Mark Peter Davis is the founder of Interplay Ventures with investments in the likes of Venwise and Warby Parker, just to name a few. Mark is also author of ‘The Fundraising Rules’, which clearly outlines the funding process of startups. If that wasn’t enough Mark is Adjunct Professor of Entrepreneurship at the Singularity University. Business Insider has listed Mark as one of the most influential Digital NYers and is included in a list of the 30 most interesting members of the Columbia University Startup Community by CVC30.
Items Mentioned in Todays Show:
In this episode you will learn:
- How Mark got into the VC industry?
- How startup founders can increase their network and gain influential mentors?
- When looking at startups what makes Mark want to get involved?
- What are the biggest mistakes made by startup founders?
- What are the key characteristics for a founder to have, in order to be successful?
- How does an individual or startup get a meeting with a VC?
- What Mark would advise graduates wanting to get into the Venture Capital Industry?
We end todays show with The Ultimate Quick Fire Round. Here Marks explains his views on startup valuations and how much equity the traditional VC looks for when investing.
Thank you so much for listening, if you are loving the show please do subscribe on iTunes and I would be so grateful if you would leave a review. If you do, you will be entered into the competition to win a meeting with one of the VCs and all the books mentioned in the first 10 episodes. Likewise, if there is a VC we have not interview who you would like us to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will arrange it!